The Importance of Cleansing
I have my fair share of clients that tell me they either don't wash their face at all or mention they use bar soap to cleanse their skin. This post is just for you, and for those who are curious about finding the right cleanser for your skin type.
Cleansing the skin removes oil, dirt, makeup, dead skin cells and other debris. Doing so helps to unclog pores and prevent skin conditions like acne or keratinosis (the buildup dead skin cells, causing a rough or bumpy feel). There are many types of cleansers. Generally speaking, a gel cleanser may be used for more oily or acneic skin. Very dry skin may opt for a creamy or lotion type cleanser to help balance and rehydrate. For those with sensitive skin, an alcohol free, or cleanser free of exfoliating beads is a suitable option to prevent a negative reaction. Finding the correct cleanser for your skin type may take some experimenting, but once you've found it, it will be well worth your wait.
Here are a few tips for cleansing:
- Cleansing should be done in the morning and evening. If you tend to cleanse just once a day, wash the day off in the evening. Cleansing should be done in upright, circular motions from collar bone to forehead. Cleanse your skin as you would a baby, careful not to over exfoliate.
- Never use bar soap on your face! Bar soap is specifically formulated for skin on the hands and body. The PH of bar soap is 9 and your skins natural PH is 4.7. Bar soap can change the balance creating an overgrowth or over production of bacteria that causes acne.
- Squeaky clean may not be the best feeling after all. Skin that feels tight after cleansing may actually be stripped clean. Rather than just removing bacteria and irritants, it may remove everything good and bad, disrupting your acid mantle; a thin layer of protection crucial to healthy skin. This may lead to an overproduction from your oil glands, your skins reaction to stripping it. Using the wrong cleanser can turn in to a vicious cycle of super dry skin then excessive oily skin. Be sure your cleanser leaves you feeling clean and soft without feeling tight or uncomfortable.
- Wash your face in cool or lukewarm water. Hot water tends to disrupt the acid mantle as well as over dry your skin. If you tend to take hot showers, wait until you are out of the shower to wash your face.
- Cleansing is only the first step. For a healthy skin regimen try to stick with the same line of products, or organic products. After cleansing, follow with appropriate toner and facial lotion with sun protection. In the evening you may incorporate a night cream or serum rich in active ingredients to improve your skin while you rest.
I carry three lines: Servello, local, mostly organic and low price range. Poetic Skin, my private label. Certified organic and in the middle price range. Last I carry Eminence Organics the award winning and leading certified organic skincare line at the luxury price point. Good, Better, or Best, I have you covered. Now through October, come in for a 15minute product consultation or 30 minute skin analysis with product consultation. 15 minute product consult is free and done in shop to match you with the correct line of products for your skin type. 30 minutes is $25 and includes a light steam and facial cleansing with application of all the finishing products and take home samples. With a purchase of $25 or more this service is free.
Look forward to serving you soon!